Thursday, January 3, 2013

Have you ever.....

 
.......wondered what it would be like to be homeless?? We have nice warm homes, food to eat, dry clothes. What would you do if suddenly you no longer had these items? I was thinking about that one night almost 3 years ago. I went outside with no hat or scarf, only a jacket.  It was cold, dark and a little unnerving. That's when I decided to start my mission for the "homeless".  I knew a guy here in town that had mentioned how he traveled to St. Louis once a month to help feed the homeless living in tents down by the arch. I then got in touch with him and that's how it all started. I was able to make around 50 hats by myself that year to send when he went in October.  I told some local ladies about what I was doing and asked for help. I then sent out a couple of letters to other surrounding churches and in 2012 we were able to distribute almost 200 hats and scarves!!! With that many hats and scarves I was able to divide "my cache",  between St. Louis, MO and Springfield, MO!!  Now
 
 THAT IS A JOY!!!
 
SO............ I've started again for 2013. If you would like to help leave me a comment and who knows..... maybe I can deliver even more!! Unfortunately there are homeless everywhere...even in your community. Grab a jacket, go outside and ask yourself the same question...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Wow Janie - this looks really impressive. I'm always touched by how much good will is around and you've found a way to tap in to it - this sort of thing really does make a difference. Your blog looks great - no one would think you were a newbie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in St. Louis and would love to help you on your mission with hats and scarves. How do I get in touch with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to crochet for your cause.

    Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to get involved with this...how do I get in touch with you? Also, do you have a beginngin/easy pattern for a hat that could be used...I've never done one before (though I do make a mean scarf!).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comments. Stop by again!!

Janie